Green Meadow – Mrs Buddle and Mrs Pannell
An ELSA is a member of staff who is trained to support children in the development of their emotional literacy.
What is emotional literacy?
- understanding and coping with the feelings of ourselves and others
- developing high self-esteem and positive interactions with others
- being emotionally literate helps children focus better on their learning.
Some of the areas the ELSA may work on:
- recognising emotions
- social skills
- friendship skills
- emotional management
- loss and bereavement.
How does the ELSA work?
- a regular slot during the school week for 20-30 minutes
- sessions can be individual or in small groups and tailored to the child’s individual needs
- sessions are fun and might include role-play, puppets, board games, art and craft and stories
- they include time to talk
- a pupil’s progress will be reviewed on a half-termly basis.
As a parent/carer, how can you help?
- by informing the class teacher if there are any issues that may be affecting your child.
- Please feel welcome to contact your child’s teacher or the ELSA if you have any questions.